Beans, beans beans! That’s what it’s all about today on National Bean Day!
Beans are a superfood rich in fiber, protein, calcium, iron, folic acid and potassium . If you eat dairy free and/or vegan, beans should be a staple in your pantry as they are an easy meat substitute and naturally dairy-free! So today let’s pay homage to the bean with some fun facts and delicious recipes.
1. Beans are good for you! Major health organizations all report beans may reduce your risk of heart disease and certain cancers, can be useful in managing diabetes, and may even help you lose weight!
2. Beans have virtually no fat and have more fiber than most whole grains.
3. The top five beans grown in the U.S. are Pinto, Navy, Black, Red Kidney and Great Northern.
4. Beans save you money! Beans are the least expensive source of protein when compared to meat. Canned beans generally cost less than a buck.
5. Beans are super convenient! Buy them canned, frozen, or dry and they even come in flour form for baking.
6. North Dakota , Michigan, and Nebraska are the top three bean producers in the US.
7. In Ancient Greece, minor public officials were elected by drawing beans! The person picking the white bean got the job!
8. Baked beans are believed to be based on a Native American dish in which beans were cooked with fat and maple syrup. European settlers adapted the recipe to use pork and molasses.
9. Beans are good for the environment! Beans need one-tenth the amount of water to grow compared to other proteins and they are drought and fire-resistant. And with their low carbon footprint, beans are one of the most sustainable proteins in the world .
10. Beans are versatile! Beans are a super terrific meat substitute and can be incorporated into virtually any recipe .
RECIPE TIME !!
Below are some of my most popular bean recipes. Get the recipe for free by clicking on the title of each recipe.
Roasted Chickpeas – Healthy, crunchy snack
2 Bean Salad -Simple salad using items from your pantry
Easiest Black Bean Salad – Easy to make salad using pantry items
Make It Your Way Bean Soup – versatile, easy to make soup filled with ingredients from your pantry.
Lentil Soup – Hearty and healthy
Pumpkin Black Bean Soup –– Warm and hearty soup
JP’s Chili – Click ton find our the secret ingredient in this chili
What’s your favorite way to cook with beans? Share in the comments section