A sweet and savory chili that's vegan, dairy free and gluten free
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 green pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and diced optional
- 1 pkg Ground Beyond Meat Beef
- 1 80z container white button mushrooms, cleaned, stemmed, chopped
- 1 280z can tomatoes
- 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can kidney beans, rinsed and drained If you prefer, use 2 cans of the same bean
- 3 medium to large sized carrots, cleaned, diced
- 3 Tablespoons
3 tablespoons chili powder - I like to use two different varieties. Use less if you don't want as hot and spicy
- 1 8 oz can crushed pineapple
- salt and pepper to taste
In a large pot sprayed with cooking spray (make sure it's dairy free), brown the onion until softened . Add the pepper and cook until softened, then add the meat until the meat is browned.
Add the mushrooms and carrots - let cook for about 5 minutes.
Add the tomatoes ,crushed pineapple, seasonings and the beans. Stir and bring to a simmer then turn down to low and cover the pot . Continue cooking at a low simmer for about 45-minutes . Stir every so often to prevent sticking.
If you prefer, serve over rice. Before serving , taste chili and adjust seasonings and spices if needed. I always serve chili with cornbread so cornbread on the side is another nice option for this dish