Dairy Free Vegan Gluten Free
This is my friend Marina’s famous salad. I serve it every year at Easter. It is also a great dish for a party or potluck. Make it a day ahead so the flavors can meld. I’ve modified this recipe to make it gluten free by using a gluten free orzo. This salad is naturally dairy free.
This salad can be made a day ahead and, in fact, will be more flavorful as the flavors will have time to meld . The colors make it enticing and the variety of flavors will bring you back for seconds !
1 cup cooked wild rice
1 cup cooked gluten free orzo
½ cup each red and green peppers, diced
½ cup pitted black olives, sliced
1/3 cup sundried tomatoes – I prefer using sundried tomatoes NOT soaked in oil
2 tbsp drained capers (rinse several times to remove the salt)
- Combine all of the above ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
2. To make the dressing, in a separate jar combine the following:
½ cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
2 tbsp fresh, chopped basil
2 tbsp chopped scallions
2 cloves minced garlic
1 tsp black pepper, salt (optional)to taste
3. Toss salad with dressing to taste. Refrigerate any leftover dressing and use within a week.
Have you tried orzo? What’s your favorite way to eat it? As a pasta with sauce, in soup, salad? Share in the comments section
Like this recipe? Share it with friends via email and social media and find more yummy recipes at http://www.dairyfreegina.com
@DairyFreeGina please do not publish or reproduce recipes or photos without the written permission of DairyFreeGina
DairyFreeGina is allergic to milk and lamb, and eats vegan and gluten free. Gina is a life long fitness enthusiast, runner and dancer who is passionate about talking food, nutrition, health and exercise. Gina loves cats big and small, calls Disney World her 2nd home– and often blogs on these topics too.
Wild Rice and Orzo Salad
- 1 cup wild rice, cooked
- 1 cup gluten free orzo, cooked
- 1/2 cup red and green peppers, diced
- 1/2 cup pitted black olives, sliced
- 1/3 cup sundried tomatoes – I prefer using sundried toatoes NOT soaked in oil
- 2 tbsp capers , drained (rinse these several times to remove the salt)
- Combine all of the above in a large mixing bowl
- To make the dressing, in a separate jar combine the following:½ cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil1/3 cup balsamic vinegar2 tbsp fresh, chopped basil2 tbsp chopped scallions2 cloves minced garlic1 tsp black pepper, salt (optional)to taste
- Toss dressing with salad. refrigerate any unsued dressing . Keeps for a week.