Yes get your Bean On for National Bean Day January 6th!
But don’t just eat beans on this bean holiday. Eat beans every day of the year because beans are a superfood rich in fiber, protein, calcium, iron, folic acid and potassium . And if you eat dairy free and/or vegan, beans should be a staple in your pantry as they are an easy meat substitute and naturally dairy-free! So on this National Bean Day let’s pay homage to the Bean with some fun facts!
1. Eating Beans are good for your health! Major health organizations all report beans may reduce your risk of heart disease and certain cancers, can be useful in managing diabetes, and may even help you lose weight!
2. Beans have virtually no fat and have more fiber than most whole grains.
3. The top five beans grown in the US are Pinto, Navy, Black, Red Kidney and Great Northern.
4. Beans save you money! Beans are the least expensive source of protein when compared to meat. Canned beans generally cost less than a buck.
5. Beans are super convenient! Buy them canned, frozen, or dry and they even come in flour form for baking.
6. North Dakota , Michigan, and Nebraska are the top three bean producers in the US.
7. In Ancient Greece, minor public officials were elected by drawing beans! The person picking the white bean got the job!
8. Baked beans are believed to be based on a Native American dish in which beans were cooked with fat and maple syrup. European settlers adapted the recipe to use pork and molasses.
9. Beans are good for the environment! Beans need one-tenth the amount of water to grow compared to other proteins and they are drought and fire-resistant. And with their low carbon footprint, beans are one of the most sustainable proteins in the world .
10. Beans are super versatile! Beans are a super terrific meat substitute and can be incorporated into virtually any recipe . Check out some of my favorites from the DairyFreeGina website:
What’s your favorite way to eat beans? Share in our Comments section.